Penelope Gundoom WIP#2: Paint Trial
Last time, I finished painting the inner frame of this kit. Next is kind of a side-track for this build and required me to do a simple experiment for my planned paint scheme - candy-toning.
Check out the first WIP log of this build here!
The PlanMy main plan in terms of the color-scheme for this build is basically an almost copy-from-the-box color scheme for the Penelope. I will not be changing the colors but I will add more gray here and there. That is simple enough. but to add in contrast of textures, I am going to be candy-toning the yellow parts of this kit.
If you've seen my build log for the HG GP02 MLRS, I turned the blue shoulder panels into candy blue which basically made a quite appealing contrast in textures. Those were for only 2 blue small parts and I technically just used the basic procedure for this:
- A smooth black base coat
- A bright and smooth silver/aluminum coat
- Pre-shaded the edges with a black tint (smoke) paint (optional)
- A clear/transparent blue layer with a lacquer retardant mixed in
|This was actually an experiment for the HG GP02 build|
I tested both the transparent blue and red paints I had
|Pre-shaded with black tint paint over the silver before painting over the blue|
I actually already have 'pre-made' parts which I already have chromed and they have been curing for months now - they were supposed to be just test parts to test chrome paints I got months before. Now they will be subjected to this candy-experiment.
Subject 1: The spoon
Subject 2: The spear
For the spoon, the pre-shading used was just the ordinary black tint. Since it is a yellow tint that I will be using, I wanted to check if a red tint can be used used as a pre-shade and so I did two preshading patterns for this one:
The ResultsNow it's time to lay that transparent yellow on the subjects. For this experiment, I used Bosny Yellow. Here are the results:
The VerdictI think for the Penelope, I will be going for the Spoon's results. I think the black pre-shading is still appealing and more good-looking than the red pre-shading (but I would say the red pre-shading can be applied in my future projects). Also for the silver/chrome layer, I will also try other paints for it. I think I can produce a brighter/more vibrant result if used DS Paints' High-Shine Aluminum or Bosny Aluminum Silver as I found both of them to be the brightest so far. Another great extra step (which I skipped in this experiment) that I will surely do in my build is to apply a clear gloss coat after the silver/chrome layer. I will use an acrylic coating, the trusty Pledge Wipe & Shine (after the silver/chrome has fully cured) or the Vallejo Polyurethane-Acrylic Gloss Varnish I have for a long time now. I am using non-lacquers as acrylic coats will not degrade the metallic shine too significantly and also adds an extra dash of glossiness for your candy paint to adhere to.
Now that the experiment is done, I'd like to list the paints used in this experiment.
Credits RollingLike I said before, I predominantly use non-hobby brand paints. Most of these are decanted spraypaints which are, for me, easy to use and easier to acquire (and cheaper too) - of course minus the process you have to do for the decanting itself.
|Bosny Black Tint for the black/smoke pre-shading|
|Bosny Honda Red for the red pre-shading|
|Bosny Honda Yellow for the Yellow Candy Coat|
|Alclad II Lacquer Polished Aluminum for the silver/chrome layer|